The Mortgage Lender Conveyancing Lender Panel Compliance Tool

Lexsure’s COMPLETIONmonitor is web-based pre- and post-completion checklist for property lawyers. Supported by the Council of Mortgage Lenders and professional indemnity insures. COMPLETIONmonitor is a unique risk mitigation tool.

This software optimises the way you can demonstrate to lender panels that you are, and can remain fully compliant with their requirements, with automatic updates on The Mortgage Lender’s changes. While utilising COMPLETIONmonitor is not a condition for acceptance on the The Mortgage Lender panel, demonstrating you can stay up to date with The Mortgage Lender’s Handbook requirements is an excellent support to your application to their lender panel and, more importantly, safeguard your panel status.

The software generates real-time alerts, automatically produces regulatory and CQS reports, and will increase your firm's efficiency. In addition it is user friendly, cost-effective and, for some firms, leads to a PII saving.

Find a Law Firm approved by The Mortgage Lender

Banks and building societies frequently vary their requirements. The UK Finance Lenders’ Handbook requirements from The Mortgage Lender are not guidelines, they are instructions from a client. As with many clients, instructions can change - and they do change, frequently:

A Timeline of Policy Changes

Since 2008, The Mortgage Lender has made 210 revisions or additions to sections of their version of the CML Handbook.
That equates to a section change every 13.0 days. In total, 34% of the sections of P2 of the UK Finance Lenders’ Handbook for The Mortgage Lender have been changed since 15/12/2008.

To find out more about lender panel compliance,

Book a Personalised Demo

Recent Changes Include

# Date Assoc. Changes Related To
16.5.3b 25/01/2019 CML
16.5.3d 25/01/2019 CML
5.5.3a 25/01/2019 CML Lack of Planning Permission Indemnity Insurance
6.4.5 25/01/2019 CML
16.4.2 27/04/2018 CML
5.7.1a 27/04/2018 CML Flying Freehold Indemnity Insurance
6.6.2 27/04/2018 CML
1.11a 19/12/2017 CML
16.5.3d 14/12/2017 CML
6.11.1 14/12/2017 CML Obstruction of Access Indemnity Insurance

Last update 17/09/2019

FAQs for the The Mortgage Lender Solicitor Panel from members of the public

My mortgage broker has asked me for my law firm’s panel reference for the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel. What is the best way to discover this. I have called my local The Mortgage Lender office but they have not responded to me.
You are best placed to get this information from your conveyancing lawyer. A law firm is likely to keep a file or database of lender panel information which would include, if applicable their conveyancing panel details for The Mortgage Lender.
I do hope you can help me. My solicitor is advising me that she is duty-bound to conduct a Local Authority search as the firm are on the The Mortgage Lender solicitor panel. Is my lawyer correct?
Unfortunately both you and your lawyer have little choice here. As you are taking a mortgage with The Mortgage Lender your lawyer has to comply with their conditions as set out in their version of the CML Conveyancing Handbook. Your lawyer would have previously signed the Terms and Conditions of The Mortgage Lender’s conveyancing panel appointment which obliges them to follow the CML Handbook requirements last updated The Mortgage Lender. even if you were a cash buyer you would be ill advised not to carry out a local authority search.
Having used your search tool I can't find the lawyer I was hoping to instruct as being on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel. My lawyer has said that they are on the The Mortgage Lender approved panel. How can I be sure given that they are not listed on your directory?
Not all firms are yet listed on our lender panel search tool which is still relatively new. Law firms are listing on a daily basis and it is probably the case that your lawyer is on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing lawyer and you should probably take them at their word. Please do feel free to suggest that they completing their listing on our site as it would only cost them £1 a month to list themselves as being on the The Mortgage Lender solicitor panel.
I am purchasing a semi-detached house and getting a mortgage with The Mortgage Lender. How practical is it for me to do the conveyancing?
Leaving aside the complexities and merits of DIY conveyancing you will have to appoint a solicitor on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel to look after their interests. Most people therefore find it easier to let the solicitor act for them and the lender. Furthermore there is minimal cost savings to made in you doing to conveyancing for yourself and another lawyer conducting the conveyancing for the lender. Please feel free to use the search tool to find a lawyer on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel in your location.
Is it the case that all solicitor firms on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel regulated by the SRA?
As solicitors, in order to be on the The Mortgage Lender conveyancing panel they would need to be regulated by the SRA. Many lenders do allow licenced conveyancers on their panel in which case such firms would be regulated by the Council of Licensed Conveyancers (CLC).
I previously instructed online solicitors based in Birmingham who are on the The Mortgage Lender solicitor panel. They have just invoiced me a separate fee of £175 for the legal aspects of the The Mortgage Lender mortgage. Is this a supplemental conveyancing fee set by The Mortgage Lender?
Unfortunately, as long as it is in their Terms and Conditions or Quote then yes your solicitors can charge a fee for this. This fee is not set by The Mortgage Lender but by your lawyers. Some firms on the The Mortgage Lender will charge an ‘acting for lender’ fee and others do not.
The for formalities of my remortgage has taken place with a mortgage from The Mortgage Lender. Conveyancing was satisfactory but I feel I should register my dissatisfaction about The Mortgage Lender. How does one go about formally complaining?
Almost all banks and building societies have complaints procedures. Your first port of call should be one of the The Mortgage Lender branches or the Customer Services Team at The Mortgage Lender head office. In most cases complaints to The Mortgage Lender are sorted out very quickly. If you feel that the matter is not resolved you can write to the Financial Ombudsman Service with full details of your complaint.