Sainsbury's Bank Conveyancing Lender Panel Compliance Tool

COMPLETIONmonitor is an online pre- and post-completion checklist for residential conveyancing lawyers. Supported by the CML and PI insurers such as AmTrust. COMPLETIONmonitor is a unique risk management tool.

This software optimises the way you can prove to lender panels that you are, and can stay fully compliant with their instructions, with notifications given on Sainsbury's Bank’s changes. Notwithstanding that using the software is not a prerequisite for Sainsbury's Bank , demonstrating you can remain up to date with Sainsbury's Bank’s Handbook requirements is an excellent support to your panel application and, more importantly, safeguard your firm’s panel status.

COMPLETIONmonitor creates real-time alerts, automatically produces compliance and CQS reports, and will improve your firm's efficiency. In addition it is user friendly, cost-effective and, for many firms, results in reduced PII premiums.

Find a Law Firm approved by Sainsbury's Bank

Banks and building societies frequently change their requirements. The UK Finance Lenders’ Handbook requirements from Sainsbury's Bank are not guidelines, they are instructions from a client. As with many clients, instructions can change - and they do change, frequently:

A Timeline of Policy Changes

Since 2008, Sainsbury's Bank has made 121 revisions or additions to sections of their version of the CML Handbook.
That equates to a section change every 22.6 days. In total, 57% of the sections of P2 of the UK Finance Lenders’ Handbook for Sainsbury's Bank have been changed since 15/12/2008.

To find out more about lender panel compliance,

Book a Personalised Demo

Recent Changes Include

# Date Assoc. Changes Related To
1.14 31/05/2017 CML
16.5.2 31/05/2017 CML
16.5.3b 31/05/2017 CML
4.5b 31/05/2017 CML
5.5.3c 31/05/2017 CML
6.2.1 31/05/2017 CML
6.7.2 31/05/2017 CML
7.3 31/05/2017 CML
7.4 31/05/2017 CML
9.1 31/05/2017 CML Adverse Possession Indemnity Insurance Possessory Title Indemnity Insurance Missing Deeds Indemnity Insurance Defective Title Indemnity Insurance

Last update 15/10/2019

Sainsburys Bank Conveyancing Panel Recently Asked Questions from members of the public

I have been advised by my broker that I have to pay Sainsburys Bank fees if I use my own solicitor. How efficient are the Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel solicitors? I dont care which law firm I use provided that they are good and not exorbitantly priced. Would you recommend a specific law firm on the Sainsburys Bank panel?
Sainsburys Bank’s conveyancing panel is substantial so your best bet is just to check with the firms you are getting quotes from that they are on the panel. You can search by postcode on the search tool on this site to find solicitors that Sainsburys Bank will allow to act for them.
My husband and I changing mortgage lender for our flat with Sainsburys Bank. We have a son 18 who lives with us. The solicitor on the Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel has asked us to disclose any adults other than ourselves who reside at the property. The solicitor has now sent a form for our son to sign, giving up any rights in the event that the property is repossessed. I have a couple of concerns (1) Is this document specific to the Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel as he did not need to sign this form when we purchased 3 years ago (2) In signing this form is our son in any way compromising his right to inherit the property?
First, rest assured that your Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel solicitor is doing the right thing as it is established procedure for any occupier who is aged 17 or over to sign the necessary Consent Form, which is purely to state that any rights he has in the property are postponed and secondary to Sainsburys Bank .This is solely used to protect the Sainsburys Bank if the property were re-possessed so that in such circumstances, your son would be legally obliged to leave.

It does not impact your son’s right to inherit the apartment. Please note that if your son were to inherit and the mortgage in favour of Sainsburys Bank had not been discharged, he would be liable to take over the loan or pay it off, but other than that, there is nothing stopping him from keeping the property in accordance with your will or the rules of intestacy.

Do lenders provide you with an approved list of solicitors? How do you know who is on the Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel?
The law firm practices themselves provide us confirmation that they are on the Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel as opposed to being supplied with a list from Sainsburys Bank directly.
I am trying to get my ex-wife removed the mortgage deeds. Can Sainsburys Bank really tell me which solicitor I can or can not instruct?
You can use any solicitor you like but Sainsburys Bank then has the right to appoint a different solicitor to act for them at your expense. It might be more cost effective and quicker to instruct a lawyer who is on the Sainsburys Bank solicitors panel
Do most banks operate their own panel of solicitors?
Many lenders do operate a restricted conveyancing panel but a lot of lenders allow any solicitors to join their panel so long as they meet their criteria. Each lender sets their own criteria. For example the Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel requirements are different to Sainsburys Bank’s conveyancing panel criteria.
What are the common reasons for a lender such as Sainsburys Bank to withdraw a mortgage offer?
Banks and Building Societies such as Sainsburys Bank can revoke their mortgage offer although this rarely happens. should Sainsburys Bank withdraw their offer they may or may not inform you or the lawyer as to the reasons why. There are many potential reasons but here are 5 examples:
  • Amendments if purchase price adjusted and the loan to value limits exceeded by this. Please note that Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel solicitors would be obliged to notify Sainsburys Bank of a change in the price of the property.
  • Where to proceed with the Mortgage offer would be unlawful
  • Where the Lender’s right to possession is fettered in some way
  • If the lender reasonably suspects that the applicant, borrower, mortgagor or guarantor is involved in any criminal or fraudulent activity, including trading in illegal drugs or other substances, theft, robbery, deception or other serious offences, or if the applicant borrower, mortgagor or guarantor has a conviction for any serious criminal offence, including theft, deception, fraud, robbery or trade in illegal drugs or other substances;
  • If the lender reasonably believe that the applicant, borrower, mortgagor or guarantor is insolvent or is about to become insolvent or has or will have a petition presented or if any one or all enter into any arrangement with their creditors generally or if any one or all should suffer a material change in their financial circumstances
I can not work out if my mortgage offer requires a lease extension . I have called Sainsburys Bank on various occasions and was told they are content with the situation and they would lend. My solicitor - who is on the Sainsburys Bank conveyancing panel- telephoned and was told not they would not lend in accordance with their CML Handbook minimum lease term requirements. Who do I believe?
As long as the conveyancer is on the Sainsburys Bank panel she or he must comply with the CML Handbook requirements for Sainsburys Bank. Unless your lawyer obtains specific confirmation in writing that Sainsburys Bank will go ahead your lawyer has no choice but to refrain from exchanging contract and committing you to the purchase. We would suggest that you ask Sainsburys Bank to contact your lawyer in writing confirming that they will accept the remaining number of years left on the lease.